Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Top 10 Thrift Store Finds + Bonus Tips and Tricks


These are my favourite things that I have purchased at thrift stores over the past 2 years or so. They are not necessarily the most expensive or super interesting, but things that I have gotten really attached to. Bonus Longchamp bag that I use everyday to go to the gym ($.50).



1. Vintage Coach Bag ($20)
 This is my everyday go-to bag. I absolutely love it. Buying bags at thrift stores is always a bit dangerous because a lot of them are fake. And unless you know what you are looking for, it is easy to walk home with a knock-off. For that reason, I never buy Louis Vuitton bags as the knock offs are so popular and convincing that I just can't tell. I would recommend picking a couple of designers and knowing their signatures very well, instead of looking for anything designer and then guessing. That being said, there are plenty of real vintage Coach and Dooney & Bourke bags at thrift stores.

2. Prada Tote ($20)

This is probably one of my most originally expensive items that I have found. This bag was originally in terrible condition, with the handles coming apart and lots of wear and tear. I went at it with some super glue and it looks pretty good in my opinion. It was also missing part of the little Prada logo at the top and sadly I could not find a way to repair that. 
Also, I went to the Prada store to make sure this was a real bag. While I like to think that I know Prada pretty well, this one just didn't sit well with me for a reason. And I was originally scared that if it was fake they would report me to the Prada police or something, but they were very nice and confirmed that my bag was authentic. So when in doubt, take it to the store. 

3. 80's Sailor Themed Windbreaker ($3)

I don't have a reason. I don't really want one. This windbreaker is fabulous and I love it. 

4. Vintage Lamp ($2)

This lamp and I have been through a lot. It has been nearly knocked off of my nightstand 20 times. Yet it always wobbles and managed to stay upright. I really love the look of vintage lamps and think that they are a great way to liven up a room. Although, always try them out in the store to see if they work. AND make sure that the bulbs they use are still being produced. 

5. Mid Century Modern Table ($15)


I think this table is awesome. In my dorm room, I put my mini fridge on it, now I have my dressing mirror on it along with some purses. I would buy entire rooms full of thrift store furniture if I had a car and could get it back to my house. ALSO, stores like Salvation Army always have a surplus of furniture and if you leave with it (rather than coming later to pick it up), they usually give you an extra discount. 

6. Christian Dior Bustier ($1)

I didn't notice the tag on this until I had gotten home but this is one of my favourite tops. It is very revealing, because the sides and back are mesh, but when worn with a plain knee length black skirt, it looks amazing. 
Never be afraid of buying a skirt or dress that is too long at a thrift store. Scissors, hemming tape, and an iron can help you hem it to your preferred length. 

7. Sunglasses ($.75)

These were my favourite sunglasses for about a year. Until I accidentally broke them at CVS. And they were name-less so I don't think I can find a new pair. 
I usually find some nice designer sunglasses at thrift stores every now and then so the sunglass rack is usually worth a look. 

8. St. John's Evening Bag ($5)

I didn't mean for this post to be so purse heavy, but I find a lot of purses. This one is buttery soft leather with a pearl and gold plated chain. $400 on Ebay. Also my go to evening bag. 
The blanket is also thrifted. I washed it of course. 

9. Bowls and Vases ($.50-$2)

I use these to store my makeup and brushes on top of my vanity. I really like the look. If you ever need plates, dishes, vases, or bowls, thrift stores have a lot of really nice and cheap ones. And please wash them first. 

10. Alexander McQueen Skull Scarf ($1)

I don't know who in their right mind donated this to Salvation Army but I was beyond happy to find it. They retail for a couple hundred and I have wanted one for a very long time. Also took it to a department store to compare to the real thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment