Monday, October 21, 2013

Review: The Balm's Mary-Lou Manizer


I had heard really good things about the Mary-Lou Manizer so when it went on sale on HauteLook I decided to get it. As described on the packaging, it can also be used as an eyeshadow and shimmer. As it turns out, I like the product more as an eyeshadow than a highlighter, but it works very well as both. And it looks very nice on pale skin. But it's easy to go overboard and end up being a little too sparkly vampire instead of glowing goddess.




It swatches as a very pigmented, buttery light gold shimmer shadow. It's also very very soft. Obviously if you're using it on your cheeks, you should do a very light swipe. And it creates a nice glow. I personally like a matte face so I avoid using a lot of luminizing products, but this looks very natural, more like a hint of fresh face rather than an overdone contouring job. 
There is also a LOT of product. I could probably use this for the next 3-4 years and not run out considering how little you need. I'm not sure that would be sanitary after the first 2 year, but you get my point. 

You might like this highlighter if...
You want something that doubles as an eyeshadow
You want a powder highlighter
You don't mind some shimmer


You can buy it on theBalm website for $24, but they are frequently on HauteLook for around $12. Word of warning though, if you buy it on HauteLook, there is a very high chance it will arrive broken. That's what happened to mine, and many other people's. Of course, it does not harm the product in any substantial way, just looks wise. And you can fix it with rubbing alcohol. But here is what my patched up compact looks like. ( I didn't have rubbing alcohol so I used vodka, but let's keep that between us). 


And here is what it should look like. Oh well. 



2 comments:

  1. You have some really great photos on your blog. Well done.I'm new to blogging, check me out at leannaelizabeth.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete