Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review: Skindinavia Setting Spray (Original)


After I had a little incident with my foundation breaking down during a night out, I decided that I needed to invest in a setting spray. Since it was my first dabble into setting sprays, I wanted to try out something cheaper like Elf or NYX. But the general consensus that I read in reviews was that only mid to high end setting sprays did the job well. And I decided to get the Original Skindinavia setting spray in the 4 ounce size. 











What It Is


"This makeup-saver is the pioneer in the makeup finishing spray category. Proven to hold makeup in place, keep colors vibrant and make creasing concealer a
thing of the past, consider this your barrier against makeup meltdown." (Skindinavia Website)


It Promises To:
Greatly Extend Makeup Wear
Hold and Blend Foundation, Powder, Eyeshadow and Blush
Need Fewer Touchups Throughout the Day
Reduce Makeup Settling into Pores and Lines
Keep Temperature Cool and Prevent Melting


Where To Buy It/Cost

You can get this on the Skindinavia website, Skinstore.com, Dermstore.com and Amazon. I would recommend getting it from the Skindinavia website because they have free shipping and you get an extra travel sized bottle for free. 
This spray is $29 for 4 ounces. That is $7.25 per oz. 
The Urban Decay setting sprays are also $7.25 per oz.
The NYX setting sprays are obviously  cheaper at $4.00 per oz and are sold in 2 oz bottles for $8.

Since there are not too many setting sprays, especially ones that work well, I think the main question is: is it better to buy the Urban Decay All Nighter or Skindinavia Setting Spray?

They both have very similar ingredients, use the same technology and from what I have read, Urban Decay sprays are made by Skindinavia. Therefore, whichever one is cheaper. Or if you like one of the packages aesthetics more. 

Their website also says that the 4 oz bottle lasts for 2 months. But that depends on how much you use obviously. 



Smell


It has no smell. Which I think is a big plus. 


Ingredients


Aqua, SD Alcohol 39C, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Isononyl Isononanoate, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Sodium Cocamidopropyl pg-dimonium chloride phosphate, Methyl Perfluorobutyl ether, Methyl Perfluoroisobutyl ether, PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Dimethicone PEG - 7 Phosphate, PPG 3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycereth 5 Lactate, Fragrance, N,2,3-Trimethyl-2-Isopropyl Butamide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hydroxide


It has alcohol in it, but you're not going to get a setting spray to work without it.  

It is oil free and not tested on animals. 





How it Looks/Feels


It's a clear liquid. When sprayed on the face, it feels like water. When I use about 2 sprays, it feels slightly sticky for a minute or so and afterward I can't feel it. However, if I spray on more than 4 sprays, I can feel it getting very sticky. 



How To Use



Spray it on your face after your makeup is complete. I wouldn't use this beforehand. The bottle says to shake and then spray in an X shape and a T shape. I just spray once on the upper half of my face and once on the lower half. As long as you don't use too much, I don't think it matters. 



Does It Work



I think setting sprays are fantastic if you are oily or wear sunscreen that makes your foundation/makeup break down quickly. I fall into the second category. Usually, I have problems with my chin and the area around my nose, where it starts to look a bit blotchy midday. 
This spray definitely helped prolong my face makeup. I cannot feel it on my skin, it's easy to remove and it does help with longevity. It says it stays put for 16 hours. But the only time I have work my makeup for 16 hours was when I got home from parties at 4 am, and at that point, I didn't care too much how my makeup looked. 
I think having one good setting spray is a great idea for any makeup collection. To have extra insurance when your makeup needs to last. Or for everyday if you need it. 



Rating



5/5

I know I give a lot of positive marks on reviews, but that's just because I seem to be picking out good things lately due to research and reading other reviews before purchasing. Believe me, there are so many things that I think are terrible. I might do a post just on that in the future. 

7 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I have never used a setting spray before, but I keep thinking I should pick up a bottle for late night parties and whatnot. Thanks for the review.

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should. I don't think it changed my makeup routine but now I feel better about my foundation staying.

      Delete
  2. I bet my oily skin would love this. I also love Dickinson's Witch Hazel in a spray bottle as a setting spray!

    SimplySkinDeepBeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post!


    join our nice giveaway from S. Korea!
    http://differentcands.blogspot.kr/2013/11/giveaway-seoulmates.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the Urban Decay setting spray a few years ago and really loved the results. I just never replaced the bottle after I was done with it, but I think I'd like to try the Skindinavia one next time just to compare. This was a helpful review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got mine this morning, can't wait to try and see how it works on my combo skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I hope you like it as much as I do.

      Delete