Monday, December 23, 2013

Review: LORAC Breakthrough Foundation in SMS 1



I bought this on the LORAC event on HauteLook because someone else bought the palette I wanted and I still wanted to get something because of the good deals. Very logical right? Anyway, as a spoiler  alert, I'm going to tell you that this foundation frustrates me to no end because they listed the color SMS 1 as porcelain. It's also the lightest shade. And I would say the color is similar to an NC 25. Which is waaaaay too dark for me. And I don't know of a single person who considers NC 25 "porcelain". Regardless, it's a good foundation and it's on sale right now on the LORAC website. 





(NC 15 on the left, LORAC Breakthrough Foundation on the right)

What It Looks Like

This foundation runs a bit yellow in my opinion, which you can see on the swatch above. It's also quite dark for the lightest shade. I put it on for science, but I don't think I can wear it in public without people doubting my foundation buying abilities. This is oil free, but I wouldn't say it's matte. It dries to a kind of powder finish, but looks dewy. I set it with powder anyway, and then it looks matte.

What It Feels Like

I can't feel this on my skin, which is very nice. I feel like I used up a lot of foundation though. About 2 pumps worth. And I don't have very blemished skin. So I can definitely say this is more on the light to medium coverage side. 




SPF

It has SPF 14. Which is useless. Although, with the amount of foundation I have to use to cover my face, I might almost be getting the entire sun protection advertised. The SPF also comes from a physical sunscreen ingredient, Titanium Dioxide. 




Where to Buy/Price

I believe the only place to get this right now is the LORAC website, where it's on sale for $19.50 and there are several shades left. I bought mine for $10 on Hautelook. Originally, it was $39.95

It's the pretty standard 1 oz, so that makes price comparisons easier. 
LORAC Breakthrough Performance is $39.99 per oz, or $19.50 on sale. 
Nars Sheer Glow is $44.00 per oz. 
Mac Pro Longwear is $31.00 per oz. 




Packaging

I actually quite like the packaging of this foundation. It reminds me of the Skin 79 Hot Pink BB Cream but fancier. I think the clear and metal looks very sleek. But I can see this being difficult to deal with near the end of the bottle where you want to scoop out the last drops of foundation. 

Staying Power

I would say this foundation lasts about 8 hours. I did however, use both primer (Benefit's That Gal), and The Skindinavia setting spray. So I can't find any faults with it on that front, unless you need a 24 hour foundation for some reason. 

Rating

3/5

I took off 1 point for the atrocious shade naming (as well as limited range) and 1 for being not very good coverage and having to use a lot of foundation to even see it. 

4 comments:

  1. I only use SPF 15 for winter. I need to double with spf 50 + whatever sunscreen in my foundation during summer. haha!! 1 point off for atrocious shade naming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I really like the packaging, it's a shame that it doesn't have decent coverage :(

    Basmah | Lacee & Lattes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Labai įdomi apžvalga!
    Senokai dairausi į Lorac produktus, bet dar neteko išmėginti, kaip matau šis pagrindas nėra labai geras.

    Smagių švenčių.

    makeupdemon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! In case you're interested I nominated you for the Liebster Award on my page ^_^ http://lizzyxfresh.blogspot.com/2013/12/and-liebster-award-goes-to.html

    ReplyDelete