Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Shadows I Have Been Reaching For Lately


I really wanted to do this post because I feel like I never talk about eyeshadows. I have a lot of them, so I try not to buy new ones. And using up an eyeshadow is pretty difficult, so they never make it to my empties posts. Anyway, these are the ones that I have been using most often. I really don't like to include products that have been discontinued in my posts, but that's just a fact that we all use some. I did however, add dupes for the ones that are no longer available. 




Sephora's Prisma Chrome in Moon Beam

This is the only product that I have bought from the Sephora Brand that I actually like. It's a very soft and pigmented shimmery gold eyeshadow. I like to use this on the lid, with some matte brown in the crease. I bought this for $3, so it's been discontinued a while ago. I think a good dupe is Urban Decay's X. But in case you don't roll that way, NYX Daisy also comes close. 

Bobbi Brown's Espresso

I own this shadow in a single, as well as in two palettes. It doesn't swatch too well, but it is the perfect matte dark brown crease color. I use this everyday. I also use it on my lower lash line because black would be too harsh. I'm not finding this exact shade on the Bobbi Brown website right now, but it does come in a lot of her palettes. 

Dior Ombre Solo in Rose Peche

I'm not even sure how long this has been discontinued for. I was thinking of throwing it out a while ago, but it's such a nice color and shows no signs of age. It's a matte pink beige. I like to use this as a highlight to tone down any sparkly shadows. The closest color from Dior is Ribbon, but that has glitter in it. I'm afraid I don't have a dupe for this. It seems like an easy color, but most ones I have found have more shimmer or are very powdery compared to this. 


(Left to Right: Bobbi Brown Espresso, Sephora Moon Beam, Dior Rose Peche, Urban Decay Shotgun, Last Call, Sin and Chopper)
(I always swatch once without primer)


Urban Decay Shotgun

This is one of the reasons I don't need the Naked 3. I have a lot of rose/warm tones neutrals from Urban Decay. This one is not sold as a single on their website, which is a shame, because it is a beautiful shade. It's a medium toned down pink with shimmer, but not glitter. I like to use it on the lid with Last Call in the crease. It kind of looks like Buzz from the Naked 3. 

Urban Decay Last Call

This one is sold as a single. To me it looks like a shimmery burgundy color. I never really went for this one before, but now I've been into burgundy smokey eyes and it's great. 

Urban Decay Sin

This is a really popular color for a lot of people. It's a nice beige pink neutral with a bit of glitter. Any time Urban Decay puts glitter in shadows they end up on my face, but I remedy that by doing my eye makeup first and then my face. 

Urban Decay Chopper

Also a popular color. You can see how it's my most used out of all the shadows. It's glittery copper bronze. Very flattering. 

I know it seems like I have a lot of Urban Decay, but I want to say that I don't think their palettes are worth buying full price. I'm pretty sure I paid about $10 for each of the ones I featured in this post. For that price, their shadows are great. But I would never get one of their $18 singles. I also find their colors to be hit or miss. For example, the Shattered and Polyester Bride shades are traumatic. 

What are your favorite shadows lately?

12 comments:

  1. I'm really loving the Naked 3 palette lately. Typically I'm not into shadows, but I just love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I would loved the Naked 3 too. But it's just a little too much for me to spend on Urban Decay.

      Delete
  2. That Sephora shade is very impressive! I don't normally like their products either. I have been using a lot more neutrals lately but there are no shades I have been picking a lot over others lately.

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was like wow, can't Sephora make more shadows like this.

      Delete
  3. Love your choice of shadows ^_^

    I've been using a lot of neutrals lately! I might start easing towards the rosy colours soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's basically the eyeshadow story of my life. Neutrals all day everyday. But I have so many pretty colors that never get used.

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of the Sephora Prisma shadows and really enjoy them. They have such a cool wave shape they are also fun to look at in the pan. I need to pull out my Ammo palette. Thanks for reminding me how awesome it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great palette! It was the only one I took with me abroad last year for two months. Hence why the mirror is a little cracked. Too much time in the overhead compartment of planes.

      Delete
  5. I've pretty much used up my whole pan of Sin it is the very best shade for my colouring :) I love the look of Espresso too, I think that sometimes the dark browns don't swatch nicely but are perfect in the crease as you don't need very much at all :)
    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      And yes. Sin is a beautiful color. I'm glad I have it without buying the Naked palettes or a single.

      Delete
  6. looks like you love urban decay eyeshadows :) are you excited for the naked palette 3 too? ive tried to place my order online but its sold out all time :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm going to buy it actually. I have a lot of rose toned neutrals already. But good luck!

      Delete