Saturday, January 11, 2014

Review: Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule


I have had this for a while now after reading about it on several beauty blogs. I was really interested in trying out a product that had snail ingredients in it. Having gotten over the fact that it's um snail, and being interested in why it's so popular in Korean skin care products. And overall, I think this is a solid ampoule/serum, but nothing particularly special.  







Packaging

It comes in a box that contains the main bottle, along with a dropper to dispense it with. The box comes with a sealed sticker. The bottle itself is a nice, heavy amber colored glass.  I think that the packaging might be my favorite part of the product. I just really like the design, down to the white lettering. 

What It Is

"Mizon Multi Function Formula Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule contains a high concentration of snail slime extract and Epidermal Growth Factor to promote firmer, more youthful looking skin. Both Snail extract and EGF are very effective ingredients at increasing cell regeneration and improving elasticity.  These extracts also help to hydrate skin and lock in moisture for smooth and radiant finish." (prettyandcute.com)




I have been using this for about a month, and have gone through half the bottle. This photo also looks way more artsy than I intended. 

Where to Buy/Cost

I bought mine on Ebay for around $16. Pretty and Cute has it for $24.50 and Sasa has it for $16.30. You can also get it on Amazon. 

Smell

It has very little smell. Certainly no snail smell. I don't even know what that would be like though. 



Ingredients

Snail secretion filtrate, sodium, hyaluronate, butylene glycol, glycerin, alcohol, panthenol, glycereth-26, carbomer, triethanolamine, trehalose, copper tripeptide-1, human oligopeptide-1, palmitoyl pentaopeptide-4, cornus officinalis fruit extract, nelumbo  nucifera flower extract, caprylyl glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, tropolone, sodium polyacrylate, adenosine, coptis japonica extract, disodium edta

It really does have a lot of snail secretion filtrate, as it's the first ingredient listed. There is also alcohol, which could be a downside for some people. No parabens though. 



How It Looks/Feels

It's a clear, relatively thick liquid. I think it's most similar to personal lubricant, but not as sticky. It definitely doesn't feel sticky on the face and absorbs rather quickly for me. 

I like to use it in the morning and evening right after applying toner, and before applying my tretinoin gel. I use about one pipette full, slightly less in the morning. 

Does It Work

It works in the sense that it's an extra moisturizing product in my routine. Which I appreciate in the winter, where I put anything and everything that promises to relieve dryness on my face. But I have a hard time seeing any sort of results that would significantly change the appearance or texture of my skin. No firmer or younger skin :(. It feels nice and absorbs well, but so do a lot of other products. 


Rating

3.5/5


I would not repurchase this, but it's a nice place to start if you are interested in snail ingredients. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't lie, the fact that it has snail ingredients in it makes me want it even more. I must be a weirdo...

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been curious about the snail skincare products, I see them around shops every now and then. Maybe the Snail massage might be more effective? Direct from the source, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 60 and going to give this a go. I'm not sure this sort of intensive care was intended for young, wrinkle-less women; hence you may not be able to appreciate the effects it has since it seems to be my age group this was intended for. ;-))

    ReplyDelete