Monday, May 26, 2014

5 Favourites Under $5



I love buying luxury cosmetics. The packaging, the colours, the experience, oh my. But, you don't' necessarily have to spend big bucks to get great stuff. Here are some of my recent favorites that you can get for under $5. 





Jordana Best Lash Extreme in Black ($2.99 at Walgreens)

The first time I heard this mentioned was by Lauren Curtis on youtube. And it kind of slipped my mind. But the other day I was at Walgreens and picked it up on a whim. It is probably one of the cheapest drugstore mascaras, on par with Wet n Wild. And you know what? It's pretty good. It volumizes and elongates my lashes and it's very very black. The staying power is pretty good too. I wouldn't go crazy with this on my lower lashes, but with a bit of powder under the eye, it can last all day. My mother also liked this so we basically bought out the whole display. Which was actually only 3 mascaras. So while this one may be hard to find, if you see it, try it out. 




NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk ($4.49 at Ulta)

I know everyone loves this for their lids, but mine are just a bit too oily for me to use it as a shadow base. Instead, I love it as a matte highlighter. I use it in the inner corner of my eye, under my brow and along my cheekbones. It's a great consistency that you can blend out, and the staying power is good too. Plus, Ulta frequently has NYX at Buy One, Get One 50% off. So if you combine that with their 20% off coupon (like I did), you can get some steals. 

NYX Retractable Eye Liner in White ($4.49 at Ulta)

This one is actually on sale for $3 on the NYX website too. But I bought this to line my waterline and make my eyes look bigger. And it totally does the trick. It's waterproof and very creamy until it sets. I imagine that their other colors are also good.




Rimmel Stay Matte in Transparent ($4.99 at Ulta)

As you can see from the top picture, mine gets a lot of love. The colour is a bit darker than my skin, but I imagine it's close to an NC 15 from MAC. It also does run a bit yellow, but that suits me pretty well. I like this powder because it's not a simple setting powder, it does provide some extra coverage for me. I don't have oily skin, so I can't comment on the oil control, but it definitely keeps me matte the entire day. However, you can get cakey with this one, so I would apply sheer layers. 

NYC Bronzer in Sunny ($2.79 at Walmart)

I'm amazed that NYC actually managed to make a good product. They are probably my least favorite makeup brand. But this bronzer is perfection for lighter skin tones. It's not as cool as NYX Taupe or Benefit's Hoola, but it's very flattering. The powder itself is very smooth too and goes on evenly. Love this. 

What are some of your favorites under $5?



4 comments:

  1. I love NYX Milk and Stay Matte too. I really want to try that Jordana mascara, but Jordana is sort of a rare bird around these parts - even when stores carry it, the things I want are usually out of stock. Noooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff! There's no make up here sold for under $5 USD! Our cheapest brands sell from about $10 upwards! I've tried the rimmel powder but I think I got the wrong shade, too pink but it was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post - I also use some of those products that you have mentioned like the NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk and Rimmel Stay Matte Powder..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites under $5 are definitely the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipsticks. They're so pigmented, apply smoothly and evenly, and are unscented! Granted, they're under $5 only at Target, but at least they're under $5 somewhere! :-P

    www.ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete