Friday, May 9, 2014

April/May: Hits and Misses



I never seem to be able to do monthly favorites, so I'll just call this a hybrid of April and May. I also decided to add in some products I really didn't like, because I seem to have accumulated a lot of those too. 



For my favorites, 



Pacifica French Lilac Perfume ($15-20, on Amazon, and at Whole Foods or Target)

I originally got this because I wanted the Aerin Lilac perfume and that one was just too expensive. And this is a really nice more affordable option. It truly smells like Lilacs and I get a lot of compliments on it. I think it's a great summer scent. The only downside is that the Pacifica bottles don't have caps, which is not a huge deal for me, since I lose mine anyway. 





NYC Bronzer in Sunny ($3 at Walmart)

I was getting some Queen Helene Mint Julep mask at Walmart, and I decided to pick this up since it gets a lot of raves. And it's a great product. It's very smooth and the color is very nice for pale skin. It comes with a sponge too (why?), and a mirror in the compact, which is also cool. For the price, you can't go wrong with this. 




Marc Jacobs The Face Brush 1 ($48 at Sephora)

My boyfriend bought me this brush actually, after watching me obsessively stroke it at Sephora about 4 times. Which was very nice of him. And it's a glorious brush. Very sturdy and sleek. And the bristles feel like heaven. I use it apply my powder and it blends everything so nicely. I heard that this was actually made to be a foundation brush, but I don't wear foundation so I can't comment on that. I think all of the Marc Jacobs brushes are wonderful, but I'm not sure I can justify buying any more. 

And now onto the products that I didn't like so much. 




The Original Tangle Teezer ($14 on Amazon)

This is what it looked like after I brushed my hair once. And I think that's all you need to see to judge this product. I cannot believe this product is so highly rated on Amazon. Or anywhere. I pulled out more hair using this than my normal brush. And I'm not an overly aggressive hair brusher either. 

For the record, I do have very long and tangly hair. But isn't that what it says it's made for? What a disappointment. 




LA Splash Splashproof Sealer (April Glossybox)

Let's be honest. Glossybox had a bad month. There was lot of drama and upset people with shipping issues. And the actual box was so bad that I could have done a "miss" on any of the products in it. But this truly takes the cake as one of the worst things I have tried in a long time. 

The texture is bad. It's a gel and a yellow color. Why? I have no idea. But it feels sticky going on the eye as a primer. 

I could forgive that though, if it was a good primer, as the name "splash proof" indicates. But it's not. My shadows creased in under 3 hours. So I'm really skeptical it would be water proof. Overall, a terrible product. And Glossybox should get their stuff together as well. 




Revlon Precision Dark Lash Glue ($5 at Walmart)

I love the original formula of this, so I thought I would love the black version. And I was so so so wrong. It's very wet, and gets EVERYWHERE. I literally had to take off my eye makeup and redo it. I looked like such a hot mess the night I tried this out. Because it's black, you can't see when it gets tacky. So it's hard to put it on during the right time, leading to it being too wet or too dry. And anywhere it touches your skin, it leaves very black marks your have to wipe off. I'll stick to the regular kind, thank you. 


So. What are you loving/hating right now?











7 comments:

  1. I have a Friday Ahhh's! or Nahhh's! on my blog for last Friday that tells you mine. Right now I am enjoying the look of my new UD Naked and Kat Von D palette. I have a post today where I am asking for help me choose which one to do an eye look with first. I would love for you you vote in my comments.
    http://www.bethandbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes at that Tangle Teezer pic. But yay for Pacifica! I got a couple of their fragrance rollers in some gift set and they smell really nice. Not terribly complex, but nice and light and they're not that expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to look at that brush the next time I'm at Sephora. It looks beautiful...and so soft. Right now I use UD's Optical brush and it's very soft as well, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I will never be getting a tangle teezer now

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the scent of lilacs, but have never had a lilac perfume. I will definitely be checking that out next time I'm at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pacifica perfumes are the bomb.com! I was eyeing that brush because I have long, curly and ridiculously thick hair... pulling out hair is the norm for this girl! However, if this brush pulls out more hair than usual, I might have to reconsider!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was intrested in the Tangle Teezer but scared it would hurt... Yeah I dont want to lose more hair so I'll give that a skip.

    www.pink-purpledots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete