Monday, May 19, 2014

My Current Skincare Routine



I can't remember if I have ever done a skincare post, but I have discovered some very good products recently and wanted to share. I have acne prone, combo skin that's on the drier side. It's also very sensitive. So definitely keep that in mind when I share my thoughts on products. 




Night Routine

Neutrogena Naturals Fresh Cleansing + Makeup Remover ($7.99)

This does not contain sulfates and removes my They're Real mascara. Those two qualities alone are very hard to find. I would ideally like to oil cleanse and follow up with this, but let's be real. Most days, even getting to this step is a huge deal. 

St. Ives Exfoliating Pads ($5)

These are pretty gentle and have lactic acid, so I really like them for my sensitive skin. They do a nice job exfoliating without irritation and helping any hyper pigmentation I have from acne. 

Tretinoin Cream ($10)

My tretinoin is prescribed by my dermatologist for acne and it's a great product. I definitely have waaaay less breakouts. And this makes any lines/wrinkles I have look a lot shallower and better. Love love love. If I could only use one skincare item, this would be it. 

Nivea Creme ($3)

This is my holy grail night moisturizer. And my grandmas. It's a super old formula that has really stood the test of time. Yes it's greasy. But I slather it on all over my face and in the morning I wake up with very soft skin. I'm partial to the European version of this, but a lot of people say that the European and US versions are almost the same. 

Tea Tree Oil ($14)

I really like to use tea tree oil to dry out any acne on my face or back. It truly does work. 


Morning Routine

I actually don't use cleanser in the morning. I just splash with water. 

Advanced Vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid Serum ($24)

Vitamin C is a pretty tricky ingredient to have in skin care because a lot of the time it's not at the right ph to be effective or oxidizes very quickly. However, I'm not about to spend $50 on a Vitamin C serum that may or may not be better than the cheaper stuff. So I work with this. I like the hyaluronic acid for extra moisture and I'm hoping I'm getting some sort of benefits from the Vitamin C. This stuff does make my skin look brighter though. And you can find it on Amazon. 

Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre ($22)

This is light, smells nice and sinks into the skin quickly. I have not found a day moisturizer that I like better. 

Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby SPF 60 ($9.99)

I'm a crazy sunscreen person. I wear it everyday without fail. This is my go to favorite sunscreen. It layers well under makeup, provides good UVA and UVB protection and has physical sun protection ingredients. 

La Roche-Posay Anthelios 40 Sunscreen Cream ($28)

I like to wear this sunscreen when I don't wear makeup because it looks much nicer on bare skin than the Neutrogena one. I also bought it because I avoid sunscreens that have oxybenzone and octinoxate due to photo stability issues and possible immunotoxicity. And those are very popular ingredients, especially in American sunscreens.  Mexoryl is a great chemical alternative and this sunscreen also has some zinc oxide for physical protection as well. Definitely a favorite. 

What are some staples in your skincare routines?


5 comments:

  1. I second on how great the Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre is!

    Besides my moisturizer, cleansing water like the Bioderma Sensibio H2O or the L'Oreal micellar water is definitely a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take for your skin to adjust to the Tretinoin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't have a hard time adjusting to it. My skin certainly didn't get worse or anything. But it varies so much between people.

      Delete
  3. I love Nivea! The smell just brings me so much comfort; it's my favorite moisturizer from head to toes, for when I feel too overwhelmed by options. :-P Did you know that it was the first modern cream ever? Before that, creams were typically mixtures of waxes and oils.
    www.ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading other people's skincare routines. I will have to try some tea tree oil.. Having some break out issues.

    www.pink-purpledots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete