Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July 2014 Favourites and Unfavourites (Including Benefit's Push Up Liner)



I would say that July seems to have flown by, but it hasn't considering I'm taking summer classes and basically spending all my time writing papers and reading. BUT I do have some favorites to share. And some unfavourites, including the spawn of satan, otherwise known as Benefit's Push Up Liner. 





Starting off on a lighter note though, I really enjoyed the Wet n Wild Coverall foundation. I did a whole review on this product so you can check that out here. I don't really have anything new to add. It's a great, budget friendly foundation that performs better than many high end ones. As long as you can match one of the shades, you're good to go. 

Another favorite is the NARS Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. The shade is very very light, as you can see on my swatches below. But there is a reason this concealer is so raved about. It's divine. You can use it for under eye areas as well as blemishes. And it blends in so well. I don't think I'll be purchasing any concealer other than this one in the future. 

I also really liked the Smudgeproof Primer from NARS. I have oily lids, and my eyeshadow usually disappears even with a primer. But this stuff really helps keep it in place. It is clear though, so not ideal for people with veins on their eyelids that they prefer to cover up. 




Wet n Wild Coverall foundation in 815 and NARS Creamy Concealer in Chantilly




Next up I have some Real Techniques brushes. I'm an awkward child who included the Multi Tasking Brush in my last favorites post, but what can I say, I really like it. It distributes powder without disturbing my foundation and concealer. I also really love the Setting Brush for putting powder under my eyes. I find that extra powder under the lash line really helps my mascara from smudging. 




Next up I have some skincare. I decided to try out some Asian sheet masks and the consensus seems to be that My Beauty Diary makes the best ones. This is the Imperial Birds Nest mask. I tend to use it when I have some acne and redness, and it really helps to calm my skin down and hydrate it. 

Then I have the Hada-Labo UV Creamy Gel. Spoiler alert, this might be my new holy grail foundation. I'll probably do a whole separate review post on it. It has SPF 50+, PA ++++ (the highest one, which is over 16 I believe) and a wonderful finish. And there is no oxybenzone or anything that irritates me. Such a good find. 

And lastly for skin, I have a popular favorite, the Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid. This is such a great option for someone who wants a BHA exfoliant. It feels like water. There is no stinging, tightness or dryness associated with it. And it absorbs into the face relatively quickly. This really helps my acne and sebaceous filaments. In case you're interesting in trying it out, you can get $10 off your first Paula's Choice order by clicking my referral link here




And now for some things I really hated. Spot number 1 definitely goes to the Loreal Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm. I had heard such good things about this. Youtube bloggers rave about it. I had to have it. But it dried out my hair so badly. I most certainly did not see repair of 1 year of damage within one use. My ends felt crunchy and like straw. Such a no go. 

I also didn't care for the Maybelline Full n Soft waterproof mascara. I'm not a huge fan of waterproof formulas to begin with, so if I wear them, I expect the mascara to be smudge free. And it was not, it smudged just as much if not more than my regular mascaras. And it was hard to remove. So it gets a thumbs down from me. 

This next one might be a surprising miss but I didn't like the Rimmel Scandaleyes in nude. I found the color to be really visible on me, like I was wearing peach eyeliner. And the staying power was not impressive at all. Maybe 2 hours. I do have other Scandaleyes though, and they're better. But I don't put those in my water line. 




And last but not least, a product that I hate so much, I have trouble writing about it. First of all, I got the sample size from Sephora and I'm happy because this thing is not worth $24. In fact, I wouldn't use it if someone paid me. I don't believe that Benefit could have come up with this. It was probably a competing company who wanted them to fail. 

Gel eyliner is fine. Liquid eyeliner is fine. If those two were not available, I would have a better result using a toothpick and mascara than this. It comes out as a gel, and it dries very quickly forming little balls. This tiny balls of liner fall all over your face or attach themselves to your eyelashes. You can also only go over any section of your eyelid once because going over twice will pick up the product you previously put down, and you guessed it, form more little balls. I have to take a q tip to my face and my entire body after I use this. And it smudges everywhere giving me raccoon eyes. 

Also. I am not bad at doing eyeliner. I wear eyeliner a lot. And I could probably get a straighter line using lipstick on my eyelids. I don't care how much advertising Benefit does, or how much they pay youtube gurus to review it, this is a shitty product that you should not buy. 

You guys also might have noticed that I added Disqus to my comments, so hopefully I can reply to everyone better. 







31 comments:

  1. I heard so many good things about the Benefit eyeliner but your review just made me double think about getting it. But L'Oreal balm actually really works for me. My hair has never been softer. I guess it works differently for different hair types.

    TRENDGALORE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard shitty things about that Benefit eyeliner. There was a whole fiasco on Sephora Beauty Talk about it when Benefit posted their own 5 star review on their own push-up eyeliner. Benefit has never impressed me, and all of this sorta seals the nail into the coffin. However, I must say that they are really good at promoting their products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spawn of satan... lol! I need a new eye primer, and I've been planning on buying the UD anti-aging one, but everyone seems to be talking about Nars smudgeproof. I had a tube sample of it a while back, and had kind of a hard time with it (blending shadows and such). Do you have any tips for using it? (I have a little sample packet I think, so I can try it again.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. You know, I don't seem to have any problems blending. I usually apply sunscreen to my lids (I'm a sunscreen dork), so maybe that creates a different texture? I also don't apply very much, just a quick swipe. But I dunno, I'm stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are! Especially on youtube. And I don't hate them too much, I like the High Beam and They're Real mascara, but this product just baffled me. Kind of how all the bloggers are raving about the Maybelline Nudes palette, which is my opinion is worse than Wet n Wild.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to hear that it worked for you! i think my hair really is an anomaly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't in love with the push-up liner. I tried it at the store and even with just the swatch I knew I was going to hate it. If I cough up that much money for an eyeliner, I don't want it to flake and crumble off. You can better quality with a drugstore liner half the price. Anyway, I just got some MBD masks in the mail, but I got the apple kind. Maybe I'll have to look into the Bird's Nest kind. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I was using too much. I am a slatherer. I'll try using it more sparingly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chic and AlluringJuly 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM

    I think that eyeliner is on everybody's "least favorites" list this year, lol. The finish really is awful. Ugh.
    ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. so glad i read this was considering buying the eyeliner! also im in love with the real techniques brushes aswell <3

    http://thebeautebook.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh! Apple sounds great. I've been eyeing the lemon ones personally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it just had a lot of hype to live up to since the They're Real mascara is so well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Real Techniques are great! And I like the price :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was really hoping to like the Rimmel Scandaleyes liner in Nude, but like you said, it's like wearing peach eyeliner. It just makes my eyes look weird when I wear it on my water line. I do like how smoothly it glides on, and it stays put for the most part, but it's not the best nude shade for most people.

    I've gotta try that NARS concealer everyone's raving about though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really surprised to see how much you hated the nude scandaleyes and the benefit liner!! I was planning on buying the benefit liner but I don't think I'm going to now. It retails for $35 here in Australia and for that price, I'd expect it to be pretty damn good.

    The Sunday Chapter xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. im surprised to see scandaleyes nude in your unfavorites, i was going to get this online. giedre do you have reviews on the other scandaleyes colors? :) im thinking of getting some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yeah, you won't be disappointed with that concealer. I can't believe that I waited so long to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that the other colors are great! It's a nice formula. I just simply didn't like the color of this one in my waterline.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, I think I need that Hada-Labo UV Creamy Gel... I probably won't be able to find it around here though :-( Awesome summer picks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You should try it! Asian sunscreens are the bomb. I get all of mine from Ebay and a lot of sellers have worldwide shipping :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice post, I read so many things about the Benefit liner.. and most of all are negative.. I have the mascara but I dont think i will buy this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. But how do you REALLY feel about the Benefit liner? :P Seriously, I have yet to read a review that made me want to try it. It looks so horribly awkward to use. Anyway I look forward to your review of the Hada-Labo gel!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love Nars, can't live without their products! Disqus is the way to go! =)

    Jessica

    NotJessFashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's probably a good decision. The mascara is great though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah! That sucks you didn't really like the push up liner. >.< I've heard so many people raving about it. But I don't think it's worth the money so thank you for the mini review on it! And I also agree with the rimmel scandal eyes in nude. >.< mistake purchase and I rarely use it now! D: Thanks for the post~

    Love, Aimee

    Please Join my Blogiversary International Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey lovely! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! You can check out the rules on my blog ! X

    http://kieramgreen.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sure thing! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I think for the Rimmel Scandeleyes in Nude you need to have a very specific skin tone. It's not a very universal shade.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just followed you!! Hope you can drop by my blog and perhaps follow back?

    Lucy // Lucys Life Through a Lense

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've heard a million positive reviews for the benefit liner, not a single down side, I'm glad I read your thoughts on it. I'm slow with eyeliners so it'll probably dry up before I can do anything with it. I think i'll stick with my pencil/liquid liner!

    lilynotlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete