Friday, July 25, 2014

Review: Bioderma MAX Ultra-fluide SPF 50+/ UVA 40



As you guys know, I love me some sunscreen. I'm always looking for the next best sunscreen that is not irritating to sensitive skin, has a high SPF and has high UVA protection. And spoiler alert, this product is a very solid choice. It's not too easy to get, but maybe I'll convince you that it's worth trying.





This sunscreen comes in a 40ml tube, and that's pretty small for a sunscreen in the US. But in Europe, a 40ml- 50ml tube is pretty standard. And given that you should be applying over 1 ml to your face everyday, it probably won't last you too long. But you get what you pay for. 

Speaking of paying, I paid $24 for this on Ebay. This sunscreen is not sold in the US. And I'm not advocating buying illegal sunscreen (yes, I am), but Ebay is a great resource for both Asian and European sunscreens. I would link the seller, but they are always changing. I always look for the lowest price, a stated guaranteed expiration date, and good reviews. And that has not failed me yet. 

Another not about the packaging. Don't store this sunscreen cap side down. Then the liquid has a tendency to explode everywhere. Which isn't too bad because then you'll just end up wearing more sunscreen but still. 





Now. Down to why we're paying the big bucks. This sunscreen has a PPD of 40. In the US, we don't even measure PPD, which is a rating of how well sunscreen protects against UVA rays. And those are the ones we should be worried about because they cause wrinkles and cancer. So you might not be getting burned with your high SPF, but still experiencing skin damage. There are some online tools dedicated to estimating the PPD of various sunscreens according to ingredients. My Neutrogena Baby that had Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide had a PPD of 4. Which is pretty standard for physical sunscreens. I'm not saying that they're bad, but they're not for super pale people like me or anyone who wants to get serious about sun protection. So that means that to have a high PPD, we need chemical sunscreens or a combination of physical and chemical. And chemical sunscreens can be very irritating. But this one is not. 

Some "matte" sunscreens have denatured alcohol in them, this formulation does not. Which is great. 

Secondly, in case you don't know all those ingredients off the top of your head, the active ingredients in this sunscreen are :

Octocrylene
Tinosorb M
Avobenzone
Tinosorb S

2 of those are pretty standard. And the other 2 are not widely available in the US but very effective. 

This sunscreen is hypoallergenic and fragrance free. And now you might say, well that's all fine and dandy, but how does it wear?




The nozzle of doom.




Let's not comment about how this came out on my hand.




Partially blended.




Rubbed in. 

As you can see, this sunscreen wears pretty darn well. There is no white cast whatsoever, so it maybe be a great option for darker skin tones. And it does dry very nicely with very little greasiness. 

So to sum it up. 

Pros

No white cast

Phenomenal UVB and UVA protection

Minimally greasy finish

Good for sensitive skin/ non irritating

Cons

The price/ buying on Ebay

The shitty nozzle

Overall though, I will probably be repurchasing this several times. 









11 comments:

  1. I currently have two Bioderma sunscreens in my routine: the Photoderm SPF60 High Protection UVA-UVB Milk (accessible in Canadian drugstores) and the Photoderma MAX SPF50+ (Germany purchase) Very High Protection Cream.

    Do you use yours on the face? My SPF60 one works well for the body, but I am a little hesitant to apply it to my face. My SPF50+ one is specifically targeted for face-use, but it takes too much effort to blend and would start to flake off within in hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to shy away from using body sunscreens on the face. Only because my face is very sensitive. And this says for intolerant skin, so I hope I'm in the clear.

      Delete
  2. This sounds great! I wish it was easier to get. I'm always looking for a non-irritating sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using some bioderma skincare products, so far so good! it's so hard to find a good sunscreen, i think I need to look out for this one :)

    lilynotlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, this is one of the most educational blog posts that I have read in a longtime, lol. This really does sound great; sometimes when I think of our questionable skincare (and food) standards, and compared them to those of Asia and Europe, I get sad.

    http://www.chicandalluring.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks pretty great rubbed all the way in. No white cast or epic greasiness. I have a different sunscreen with a nozzle like that though and I HATE it. I always end up accidentally squirting some on the floor. Makes that 40ml run out even faster...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know if there is any PPD info on the packages? Or do you have to analyze it online to find out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have interesting blog:з

    I would be very happy if you are subscribing to me or just check out my blog http://kurumichiii.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  8. sometimes i forget that bioderma has products other than their liquid cleanser haha ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! You just reminded me. I need to do a review for that :) I was sucked in by all the hype it gets.

    ReplyDelete