Sunday, August 10, 2014

How to get the most out of your travel liquids bag.



One of the main reasons I dislike flying domestically in the US is that I don't get food. Another reason is that airlines charge to check a bag, and therefore I'm forced to travel with a carry-on. Because let's be honest, I would rather spend that money on better things that checking bags. So, I have experimented a lot with how to get the most liquids into your little quart sized bag. And this is what I came up with. 






All those samples. Mmm. 

First of all, I prefer to use one of those plastic zip up bags that you buy rather than an ziplock quart sized bag. Zippers tend to be stronger and I just like the shape better.




In terms of skincare and perfume, I keep it simple. Foil packets of lotion and little perfume samples. Thanks Birchbox. 




Another good idea is to have foil samples of products you already use. Experimenting is fun, but I would rather not try out too many new products and find out that they break me out. It's also a good idea to include both foil packets and little jars in your bag to maximize space. Lots of little jars leave a lot of empty pockets.




For things that I don't have samples of, I use little pots. Some I got at CVS, others I stole from the organic chemistry lab. Don't worry they're new. You should also actually measure out how much product you use daily and then multiply it by how long you will be on vacation. Because it's really easy to bring waaaaay too much. I would also recommend choosing a balm cleanser over a liquid for spillage reasons. 




Foundation also goes into little pots and I bring a primer sample. I generally only put foundation in my liquids bag. Stuff like concealer and lip balm I just keep in my makeup bag. TSA has yet to stop me, but if they do, I would just unzip my bag and shove it in there without closing it. 




And last but not least, we have travel straws. The idea is that you melt one side of the straw with a lighter, put your product in, and melt the other side closed. When you want to use it, just cut it open. I like to use these for the products that I need very little of, like the Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion. I also like to put things that are more prone to spilling, like my apricot oil, in there too. 

I forgot to get a picture of this, but I just bring foil packets of shampoo and conditioner, and put my leave in conditioner in a little pot. 

Of course, when I land, I'll still have to buy body sunscreen, hairspray and maybe some dry shampoo. But I don't think that's too bad. 

What's your solution for limited liquid traveling?

13 comments:

  1. Normally I'm all "meh" when I get foils of random body wash and moisturizer in beauty boxes, but I do usually end up bringing them along for air travel. You can squeeze so many packets in a quart baggie! I love the straw idea - I've never tried that before but it's a great idea, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to pay to check a bag when I fly between Canada and the US as well. When I travel, I also stick with skincare samples of previously tried products. I lean toward solid products, such as pencil eyeliners and lip crayons instead of liquid eyeliner or lipglosses since they don't count toward the liquid quota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. samples always become so useful when we go travelling
    the idea of melted straw is very interesting
    excited to try it soon when i go travelling

    http://amourpixie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips dear!! I'll try them!


    http://thefashionexplorer.blogspot.com.es/


    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't do limited liquid traveling ;-). Grapje, als het écht moet ren ik last minute naar Het Kruidvat om daar wat kleine verpakkingen te kopen en ik heb ook altijd een heleboel staaltjes in mijn kast liggen. Leuk artikel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an excellent idea!

    I also use sample packets, but that's only to use them up. For liquids, I'd just get the mini versions of what I like. If that's impossible, I'd just find non-liquid alternatives.

    ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I do more or less the same thing. I also prefer a real bag with a zip, because Ziploc is so flimsy! I pack sample packets as well. I try to collect sample packets of products I use for that purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. I know what you mean. I feel so satisfied when my sample hoard diminishes before a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really lucky. I don't actually mind it too much. It's like a challenge of deciding what I really need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should definitely try it! It works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a good idea. I always want to bring a powder foundation, but I have yet to find one that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure thing! First time I tried it, I did it over the bathroom sink because I had visions of everything lighting on fire. But it's surprisingly easy.

    ReplyDelete